Tour the Farm - Part Three
To your right is the small kitchen orchard filled with Apple, Plum, and Cherry trees. Red raspberries line the front of the Granary which was built in 1863.
This building was the site of our great-great grandfather's first American venture into commerce; he sold oats, wheat, barley, and sorghum seed to his neighbors there. In 1893, after a fire in the brick house made it uninhabitable, the granary for 12 months served as the household for the family until the current house was completed in 1894.
Sitting next to the granary is the brooder house. This is the home of our flock of Buff Orpingtons, a dual purpose bird providing both eggs and meat to the homestead. It is here that Feisty the Rooster oversees his brood of cackling hens. The Buff Orpington is a very calm and gentle fowl which lays beautiful brown eggs that we dutifully collect every morning.
A little further to the right is our feed shed, where we store and measure out the various grains, minerals, and molasses that our fowl and fauna eat.
The old scale has been used on our farm since the 1890s. Old Gray, one of our farm cats, stands sentinel to watch over the precious grains of gold, protecting them from the ravages of the brown field mice.
The aluminum building to the far right and north houses all of our farm machinery: tractors, plow, planter, mowers, cultivators, drags, and packers. Outside of the building is our petrol storage facility for gasoline and diesel fuel, which feeds our lumbering conveyances of the field.
Further up the lane from the Machine shed stands the farm shop and garage built in 1944 by our grandfather, Henry. Here we have an electrical/plumbing area, a wood shop area, and a welding area. This building is one of the most used areas on the farm, as hardly a day will go by without the need to repair, replace, or adjust something.
Just a little further south and we have the wood shed, where once hours a day were spent harvesting wood from the wood lot to ensure fuel for cooking and heat for the house. All the tools of this lost art can be found here - log chains, axes, saws, splitters and grinding wheel.
On to Part Four - The Shire and Barns